The Superintendents,
1890–1979

1889
Thomas William Reynolds, M.B.

1890
John Cascaden, M.B.

1890–1894
John Bernard Murphy, M.B.

1894–1928
Nelson Henry Beemer, M.D.

1928–1929
Fulton Schuyer Vrooman, M.D.

1930–1936
Hugh Alexander McKay, M.B.

1936–1959
Thomas Daly Cumberland, O.B.E., M.B.

1959–1967
Herbert Clayton Moorhouse, M.D., C.R.C.P. (C), F.A.P.A.

1967–1972
Dr. Donald Ross Gunn, M.D., C.R.C.P. (C), F.A.P.A.

1972–1974
R.C. Hansen

Frank F. Morin
1974–1975

1975–1978
L. Wayne McKerrow

1978–1979
Joe McMullen

–

Reference:

Anonymous. “History of Ontario Hospital, New Toronto, Henceforth to be Known as Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital” [Unpublished, written by an unnamed patient with assistant of John Sutherland, Chief Attendant, c. 1964].
Court, John. “Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital—A Vital Part of the CAMH Legacy.” May 1, 2001.

Retrieved from the Archives for the History of Canadian Psychiatry and Mental Health Services, January 30, 2005.

–

Images

Administration Building, constructed c. 1881, April 2005.

Administration Building, constructed c. 1881.
The superintendent’s office was on the third floor, directly overlooking the front entrance.
The chief attendant’s office was located in the basement.
April 2005.

Administration Building, August 2010.

Administration Building.
August 2010.

Cumberland House, the superintedent’s residence, built in 1896. It was later named after Thomas Daly Cumberland, OBE, M.B., the last superintendent to reside there, early twentieth century.

Cumberland House, the superintedent’s residence, built in 1896. It was later named after Thomas Daly Cumberland, OBE, M.B., the last superintendent to reside there.
Early twentieth century.
For more information about its history, please consult The Buildings.

Cumberland House, the former residence of the superintendent, now housing the Jean Tweed Centre, May 2005.

Cumberland House, the former residence of the superintendent, now housing the Jean Tweed Centre.
May 2005.

Cumberland House, the former residence of the superintendent, now housing the Jean Tweed Centre, May 2005.

Cumberland House.
May 2005.

An invitation for a banquet celebrating the appointment of John Bernard Murphy, M.B as the superintendent, January 14, 1891.

An invitation for a banquet celebrating the appointment of John Bernard Murphy, M.B., as the superintendent.
January 14, 1891.

Dr. Gunn during his retirement party with his wife, 1974.

Dr. Gunn during his retirement party with his wife.
1974.