The Superintendents, 1890–1979
Until 1894, when the Mimico Branch Asylum became an independent institution from the Provincial Lunatic Asylum and was subsequently renamed the Mimico Insane Asylum, the physicians in charge of administrating the institution were referred to as “resident physicians,” and not “superintendents.” Nelson Henry Beemer, M.D., is considered to be the first superintendent of the hospital.
The office of the resident physician/superintendent was located on the second floor of the Administration Building, and it overlooked the circular flower bed on the front lawn. The Cumberland House was designed as the residence of the superintendent.
|1889||Thomas William Reynolds, M.B.|
|1890||John Cascaden, M.B.|
|1890–1894||John Bernard Murphy, M.B.|
|1894–1928||Nelson Henry Beemer, M.D.|
|1928–1929||Fulton Schuyer Vrooman, M.D.|
|1930–1936||Hugh Alexander McKay, M.B.|
|1936–1959||Thomas Daly Cumberland, O.B.E., M.B.|
|1959–1967||Herbert Clayton Moorehouse, M.D., C.R.C.P. (C), F.A.P.A.|
|1967–1972||Donald Ross Gunn, M.D., C.R.C.P. (C), F.A.P.A.|
|1974–1975||Frank F. Morin|
|1975–1978||L. Wayne McKerrow|
Anonymous. “History of Ontario Hospital, New Toronto, Henceforth to be Known as Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital” [Unpublished,
written by an unnamed patient with assistantance of John Sutherland, Chief Attendant, c. 1964].
Court, John. “Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital—A Vital Part of the CAMH Legacy.” May 1, 2001.
Retrieved from the Archives for the History of Canadian Psychiatry and Mental Health Services, January 30, 2005.